Friday, December 14, 2007

rozella

Rozella called this week.

Her husband was our youth pastor decades ago when we were all young. He was diagnosed with Alz a few years ago.

We talk by phone once or twice a year. They are about 60, have 4 adult children and are super special people to me.

They have been living in Eastern Washington State for the last several years, but all of their children live in Portland, so this fall they moved. Sold stuff, gave stuff away, and downsized dramatically.

But Roz is a music teacher with 50 or 60 students and a group she performs with, and moving is harder on her than it was on Ron.

So far they seem to be doing fine. He has weathered the move, has found a part time volunteer job and seems to be adjusting. She is looking for students and a group, and support and friends.

Roz is under the gun all directions. Their kids are wonderfully supportive and kind to them, but it is tough to see your dear spouse go away and it is tough to have to remake your whole life because if it. And there is NEVER enough money.

We will go to Portland in March. Emily is in a school play then, but I will make sure we look Roz and Ron up. They are so dear to us. And I deeply grieve that they, at such a young age, are having to go through this horrible experience.

“You sound sad,” she said when we first started talking. Hmm. I thought I had that under control.

But, truth is, I am sad for all of us, today I grieve for Ron and Roz.

1 comment:

~Betsy said...

I hate this disease and what it does to everyone - the Lo, the family and the caregiver. I pray your friends find strength.