Wednesday, February 6, 2008

clean up

I was cleaning out my office today.

Since I am retired, I don’t really need an office, and the space would be better used as a small art studio. But there is a LOT of stuff in the way that has to be cleared out or reduced or filed.

Can’t just ignore it all.

But it is slow and tough. I came across the typed copy of a book my daughter Lora and I wrote the winter she was 15 or 16. Miriam’s mom had cancer and Miriam had gone to be with her mom full time. It was 30 miles away, so we saw each other frequently.

The church sponsored high school the girls attended had a dormitory, and Deanna and Lora moved in for a few months.

I missed all of my girls, Miriam, Lora, Deanna, Linda who was with her mom in Boise, so Lora and I decided to write in a journal and pass the book back and forth. Arline was married to Sid and lived in Washington State. I came across that today. It brought back memories of those wonderful times when I was the most important man in my daughters lives.

That position has changed now, but I am still their favorite father.

There was also a christmas card, received a long time ago, from a friend we seem to have lost contact with. We once were quite close in another state.

Tax forms that I better keep. Receipts for equipment bought, catalogs for wonderful tools I will never own, it all had to go somewhere.

Then, to make it all worse and so totally melancholy, I watched the movie “Iris” on my old Mac computer. “Iris” is about a lady writer from England who has Alzheimer’s. It is a very sad movie.

And it snowed again last night. Did we move to Fairbanks and no one told us?

5 comments:

StefanieRose said...

<3 u.

I know that stuff is hard to look at, but it has got to be nice to remember your girls. Very sweet memories. And your not done making them yet eaither. With all the girls: wife, daughters, granddaughters, and adopted granddaughters. Its not over yet.

dave said...

Remember Jimmy Carter's famous quote? "It ain't over till the fat lady sings."
And, I don't even know any fat ladies.

Unknown said...

I had to throw away boxes of such mementos when I moved from Kansas City to Dallas. I just had no place or means. Some of it just broke my heart. But there was no choice.

I've been thinking about offices though. I'm planning a blog entry sometime it.

Good going on finding a good purpose for the space and making it so.

~Betsy said...

Clean up is often an ongoing task around here. I've learned to live within the mess!

dave said...

I like that line: "Live within the mess." Thanks