Tuesday, April 15, 2008

together

We had an invasion.

Some little critters, kinda creepy moved into our kitchen. First time in 50 years. So we took the oldest packaged food and disposed of it, put a of the newer stuff in the freezer, and then into glass jars with tight fitting lids.

A lot of work, but I got to do something I have been wanting to do for a long time.

I reorganized the pantry. We have a 12’ long set of cabinets that work as our pantry. The cabinets are only 12” deep, but that is still a lot of space.

Miriam was a super cook, one who would buy things food items, having a use in mind, but she never pulled it off. So, I got to go through and thin out those things and Miriam was not upset as she helped me.

Then being fully brave, I tackled the food cabinets in the kitchen. There was a lot of jars of food (we buy or grow a lot of food in bulk, and miriam has been using glass jars for a long time, that is good) that I moved to the pantry. The pantry now had space since I moved some of that to the collection of our small town (read that land fill).

Then, being really brash I tackled the spice cabinet. It is a zoo. One can of spice (if you can remember when spices came in a metal can you have had a few birthdays) had the date of 1977 on it. I put all of the old spices and the stuff I know I will never use on the 2nd shelf. I’ll clear that out when I get a chance.

But the lower shelf, really has the spices and flavorings that I will use.

It was good to do all of that, but the really wonderful thing is that she helped me do it all. It was a blessed day. We cleared out a lot of stuff and had a good time doing it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a bug to motivate. AURGH!!!! I hate those things!

Anonymous said...

Love it that it doesn't matter WHAT you are doing, but WHO you are doing it with that makes it a good time.
-Deanna

Joanne said...

Sounds like a great day, Dave. Also a great way to get a few things that need done accomplished, have fun, and enjoy the time with a loved one. Sounds like something I'll plan to do in the next few days with Mom. Her cupboards and pantry need a good cleaning. ;)

Joanne said...

Oh yes, I meant to add...I do have a few years on me. I do remember the can spices. In fact, I have a number of them that need to be emptied and saved as antiques. LOL

Anonymous said...

I read recently that these bugs are becoming more and more common. Isn't that weird?
-deanna