Friday, May 2, 2008

tent camping

When I was a kid we used to go camping. We had an old 9 by 9 canvas tent, and we all slept in that rather small space.

When the kids were young it was pretty intense and we didn’t go camping too much, but we did on occasion.

Now that we are just the two of us, we do quite a lot of camping. It is our low cost way to “vacation.”

On one trip, I got an inspiration.

It would be fun, I thought as well as a good challenge, to put together a tent camping system that would fit into our little car, and yet provide comfortable camping. The gear would have to be carefully chosen, not just for size, but for cost, since our budget is always tight.

It also had to be comfortable if the weather turned cool or rainy.

It turned out that we spent more than one dry and cozy night sleeping through a mountain rain storm. And sometimes we sit in the light of our lantern, Miriam reading a book and me typing on my MacBook!

So we have a fairly large tent, a porta potty, comfortable sleeping and seating, enough cooking gear to eat well, and it all had to fit in that little car.

It has worked out very well. A few years ago I built a small teardrop trailer, which is over the top in comfort, but it is a bit more spendy to take on longer trips. So often we take the tent gear and luxuriate over the 30 miles per gallon.

Camping season is here, except that the weather is cool or even cold. Soon, it will be warm to hot and camping will be where we will go often.

5 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Oh I love camping. I used to go a lot but as I get older I find I like the comfort of a motor home instead. Guess that's not really considered camping huh? :)

dave said...

I have a 22' trailer that is all nice inside, as well as a Dodge pickup to pull it, but at 11 mpg and $4 for gas, it is not a good rig for much travel. A thousand mile trip comes close to $400 just for gas.
If I take my tent I can make that trip for about $135. These tight budgets that go with retirement make the decision sort of automatic!
But, enjoy your motorhome, and yes it is camping, just a bit different!

StefanieRose said...

I am glad you will get to enjoy camping again soon. Although I am sure I will miss you when you disappear for weeks at a time. :) <3

rainbowheart said...

I miss camping so much. When we were kids, Daddy and Momma took us to the moutains in North Carolina and we pitched a tent for us kids. I would love to go and pitch a tent again during the summer in North Carolina again. The memories flood back. The warm days and the cool nights. I hope that many others are able to take their families on vacation this summer..with the gas prices..who knows. But something has to give. I just purchased a smaller car and it is getting much better gas mileage than the Mustang did..but please believe that I miss that convertible Mustang on nice warm days like we are having now...LOL

dave said...

and that little car is not half as "cute" as the Mustang, durn it all.