Thursday, September 18, 2008

mr tuper's legacy

Our kitchen bulges.

We went shopping for the month a couple days ago, but that is not how it bulges.

If Tuper made it we have one of them. Well, ok, we don't have everything, no kitchen is that large.

So when Miriam goes on her walk in the morning with Leo, I do a bit of rearranging.

Our youngest daughter is a single mom living in a small house with her our granddaughter. When I go to her kitchen I open the door and there are 4 pans, each of the same manufacturer, graduated sizes, stacked neatly. Her dishes are adequate, but not over stocked.

I look in her kitchen hardware drawer and she has just what she needs and uses, with out any duplicates.

And I am envious.

So I have been working on slimming our inventory of kitchen stuff. I found a glass punch bowl with a liter of cute little cups to go with it. We have never had a party where that would be useful, and for sure we aren’t at this age. I'll sneak it away soon.

Old Henry* said it well: Simplify, Simplify, Simplify.

hmm

*Henry David Thoreau

2 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

There was a time when my stuff was in order and I had exactly what I needed and no more. I remember after my grandmother passed away, my mom giving me a few of her really nice things like her china. That started it and now I have so much I don't know what to do with it all:)

I know one thing and that is I am going to use the nice stuff now and not wait for the perfect time or a special occasion. I found so much stuff at my folk's house while I was emptying it out that was never even used. I know Mom was waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it and that time never presented itself. I guess I learned that every day is a special occasion and to use those special pieces and enjoy them.

Now a punch bowl is a different story. That is actually one item I bet your daughter would love to have as my mother gave me one of hers. I still have it and do use it at every opportunity.

dave said...

Thank you Chris. I'll see about some "redistribution" of goodies!