Saturday, December 20, 2008

brand

There seems to be a new branding phenomenon in my town.

Maybe it is more than here, I don’t know.

I was in a restaurant a while back and at the table next to us was a largish family. There was a young woman, maybe mid 20’s, there were kids, grandparents and what i took to be her husband.

But what struck me was that when the woman turned I could see that she had a man’s name tattooed on her neck. Not in small letters, but block letters, maybe ¾ of an inch tall. It began right under her ear and went down under her collar.

Does that mean she really belongs to him?

Then yesterday when I was at the post office, a teen girl was looking at pictures of her friends (I guess). She was on the other side of the counter, waiting her turn. Her top was quite low and revealed about an acre of skin.

But what got me was there was a Spanish word with letters a good inch long, running across her chest! It was high enough that she would be dutiful to cover it with clothes, but she did not seem to care, in fact she seemed to be bragging about the whole thing.

And a while ago we were in Target getting food for Leo the dog. The clerk was a young woman who had gotten a tattoo on her breast. It was quite low, actually, and she was determined that we should all appreciate her bit of body art.

I wonder what part of my body would get bruised if I suggested to Miriam that she should have “DAVID” tattooed across some intimate part of her body?

I won’t ask.


Another thought: some one recently was quoted as saying that if you want to invest in a new industry that has a bright future, invest in technology that REMOVES tattoos!

No comments: