Wednesday, January 13, 2010

brothers

I once knew two brothers who lived across the country road from each other.

It was 24 years ago when I met them, in Texas.

The brothers and their wives were in their early 80's when I knew them. I only remember the name of one of them. I do remember them kindly.

Philip (the only name I remember right now) lived in a somewhat run down house on an equally run down small farm. He was tall, thin and somewhat bent over. His wife was short and bordered on plump. Both of them smiled a lot. Philip had worked for a local greenhouse and nursery for decades. The brother was a farmer.

The brother lived in a nice brick house. His out buildings were I good repair and the machinery was well taken care of. He stood tall and was a very dignified man. His wife was also very tall and almost regal in the way she carried herself.

They smiled a lot too.

The brick house brother had lost a hand in an accident on the farm years before and had an aluminum hook on that side. Farmers, are of necessity, mechanics, but he told me that a simple reair, like putting a nut on a small bolt, that two handed people could do in a few minutes, might take him a couple of hours.

He did not complain when he said that, it was just a fact of his life.

They are all gone now. The short wife died while we were there. The tall couple moved to be closer to their children a bit after we left Texas.

And I, who can not even remember their names, still am in admiration of those two brothers and their very different and very fine wives.

It is good to remember the good people whose lives have crossed mine, even if only for a short time.

No comments: