Tuesday, April 6, 2010

reunion

I attended a small private high school.

The school is down the road a couple of miles from where we live (go the other way a mile to where I was born).

About twenty of my family members attended the same small school. Miriam and I met there. I thought that was a huge number but one other family has had 71 members attend!

This weekend was the annual home coming. For a small school the alumni are an active group. Each year several hundred return to talk and smile and shake hands and listen. Something like a fourth of the graduates are married to other graduates. Wow.

It was my 55th anniversary, Miriam's 54th. It was not a big deal year (we have another one of those in 5 and 6 years). I was the only one who stood for our year during the class roll call. But there were a few others there.

In the afternoon 5 of us: Lorraine and Eddie (married to each other) Wilmer, Miriam and I found a quiet corner and sat and talked for several hours. Like my talk with Charlie a couple of months ago, it was the first time that we had ever been able to share time together.

It was a rich wonderful experience. We shared our ups and downs. Wilmer has had a kidney transplant. Eddie had a minor stroke. We are getting older. How many of us will be around in 5 years for our next “big deal” gathering? Only time will tell.

But for a few wonderful glorious hours 5 friendships that had laid largely dormant for so many years were rekindled for a brief shining hour and it was so good.

No comments: