Thursday, September 2, 2010

food

I have been reading a book about food.

Michael Pollan: “In Defense of Food.”

“Eat Food; Not too Much; Mostly Plants.”

That is the book in 7 words. Sounds like my mother.

What is food? Let me tell you what it is not!

A few weeks ago my brother in law came to visit (he comes over for 15 minutes every month). He had a jar of peanut butter that he did not want because he had gotten “chunky” when he wanted “smooth.”

It is a well known brand, but I looked at the label a bit. On the front of the jar, as if they were bragging: “Contains 60% peanuts.” My brand contains 99%, so I had to find out what was different.

The 60 percent jar had two kinds of sugar (one I particularly want to avoid), hydrogenated oil from more than one source, and some soy that sounded as much like filler to me. All of that instead of peanuts, which probably are cheaper.

That is the perfect example of a food look alike, but not food.

The jar will go away.

“Eat Food; Not too Much; Mostly Plants.”

OK.

No comments: