Monday, October 4, 2010

captions:

The top picture is the current tower on Calx Mountain near Libby Montana. I was there the summer after I turned 18. The tower I lived in was a wood tower 60 feet high, as I remember. This steel tower was moved here in the 70'. To get there you had to take a forest service road 20 or 30 miles from the ranger station and then hike 7 miles.

The lower picture is Kenelty Peak, our honeymoon tower. This picture was taken 15 years ago, i doubt if anything is still standing. To get to this tower you drove 8 or 10 miles from the ranger station and then hiked 3 miles, there was no road. The year before a packrat had gotten into the living quarters and made a huge mess. I was sent up to clean it up before I went over to Calx Mountain. Later that same summer, the guy on this tower was drafted into the army and i went back for the last 3 weeks of the season.
I want to go back and visit this spot this next summer.

The middle picture is of Meadow Peak lookout. The tower was a brand new tower that year. To the east we looked into Glacier National park. We skipped a year after our honeymoon, Miriam was pregnant, and went on this tower the following summer with our oldest daughter, who learned to walk on the tower!
I read that the tower is still manned, and other pictures suggest that is is used as a communications center, with several large antennas around the site.

The Ranger Station we worked out of has been abandoned I read. Raven Ranger Station will always be a good memory.

No comments: