Saturday, October 16, 2010

will, arline and don

I got an announcement that there was going to be an announcement for a wedding.

It was sent by a good friend (the groom is his son) and on the “to” line, I saw a name I recognized then another. Will and Arline, not too many of those. Don is common, but the last name not so.

So I wrote to Will and Arline (we met them while we were in Texas) and got back a note. I also wrote Don: “did you stand up in my wedding about 54 years ago?”

If it was the same Don, he would admit it.

Today I got this message: “Yes, and I rode my bicycle about 40 miles from our farm out of Ontario Oregon to Caldwell so I could be there. We do those kinds of things for good friends.”

Indeed. In my defense, Don was into bicycle riding in those days, but even then 40 miles to stand up in a wedding is pushing friendship to the very limits.

I saw him for a minute a few years ago, otherwise not much since our wedding. He went to India and spent his life as a missionary there.

Amazing what you get from those “to” lists!