Sunday, November 14, 2010

grumpy grandpa

Last week went off daylight savings time.

In my warped mind it is winter when the sun goes down at 5:30 and by 6 it is dark.

Then Friday I got my first seed catalog in the mail. It is a good company, one I buy from each year, but in early November? By the time I actually plant seeds, I expect to get a bushel of catalogs, that cost someone more to make and send than I spend on seeds each year.

Yesterday i opened the home page of my local newspaper and across the top was a banner ad for a radio station that has wall to wall Christmas music, before Thanksgiving even. There is not a lot of new christmas music each year and after listening to a dozen versions of "little drummer boy" over the period of a few hours, one might be tempted to retreat to silence. How anti american/christmas is that!?!

So now, I will avoid commercial radio and tv (having just come through a particularly nasty political season, that is an established habit). I will be careful.

I fear I only have a few drops of this precious Americhristmas stuff to begin with and it must be carefully hoarded.

No comments: