Thursday, March 10, 2011

matt's new job

Today was grandson Matt’s first day on the job.

Yesterday was his birthday. He is 15 now.

It’s a volunteer job, no pay. He signed a contract that he will volunteer a minimum number of hours each week -- for a year. He will exceed that, grandpa predicts.

It’s not like he is working to assist the janitor, which would be good, except not for this child. He is a first wash computer geek, after his father and oldest brother.

So he is working with the computer development people in a small but expanding TV station. The station is christian and its influence is moving into new areas, and growing.

I remember when Miriam started to College a lot of years back. I had been a full time student in the same department. At noon I went up to see how she was doing. Her eyes were saucer wide: “These people know how to do art and they want to teach me. “ It was an astute observation and was so true.

Matt will likely have the same deer-in-the-headlights look when we see him later today.

As he was leaving, I gave him one bit of Grandpa advice: “Don’t be a smart aleck. Be humble and teachable.”

I have a hunch he will do both.

No comments: