Wednesday, May 23, 2012

We are OK.

The uncertainty of the uncertainty of it all is hard on my gut sometimes. Then there is the weather, which continues to be dreary and rainy. Not good for my head.

Miriam at times shows definite regress and at other times is about as she has been. All of that means she is continuing her "progress" with this disease. Daughters think she is closer to a care facility, so Miriam's name is on a waiting list at the only real AD facility in the area.

I feel old, decisions that involve me and mine are being done (capably) by others. Not really a complaint, but a realization that life moves on. Tomorrow is my birthday. It is one of those big ones. Friend asked if it was 39 again, and I said: "No, it's 3/4!"

Meanwhile, my challenged grandson, who, at 27, lives with his parents here on the farm, has a nasty case of pneumonia. The Doc put him in the hospital last night. Daughter just came home for a shower and a nap (no one sleeps in the hospital!). She is very encouraged. That is good. He is a brittle diabetic, among other things.

Daughter and son-in-law have managed his diabetes for the last 25 years and have kept him going, which is not a small thing. But in the hospital, new experts are there. Son-in-law, who is infinitely patent always has to go to battle with them. In this case Diabetes is similar to AD. We know our patient better than the doctors sometimes. Not many Docs are ready to accept that reality.

While I was in Idaho last time, there was a killing frost here in Washington. That is unusual, but unusual is what the weather is here. My early garden might have been protected if I had been here, but daughter and family are up to their eye balls in other worries and my garden got skipped.

So I am replanting. Maybe we will have sunshine and spring yet this year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy BDay! I just want to get to that Bday without a major mishap along the way. Hope grandson is much improved, and Drs can drive you nuts.

Husband is hanging in there, and many days I think he's better than I am.

Sending you warm skies, and calmer days ahead for you and all your family. Susan

dave said...

Grandson was out of hospital and then the next day back to EMT with Seizure problems. By that time we were gone to Portland. Seizures are a part of their lives, so to take grandson to EMT late at night was because something was really out of whack.
Yesterday daughter 1 said he was better.
Glad for your husband Susan. BTW, I know so little about you. Do you care for him?

Anonymous said...

Dave, I don't tell too many people about his family, but 6 of 8 siblings had AD or some sort of dementia which in 2 cases was early onset. His mother started her behaviors in her 50's and I thought she was just a little "off" . When I mention I see some of the same behaviors that I saw before and they scare me, that's what I'm referring to.

We are in our early 60's and when my husband is tired or stressed his tremors begin. He has a neurologist and for now this is controlled by a mild drug. Not Parkinson's, but it does take it's toll.

When I see some of the same as his Mom it truly frightens me especially mood swings. She started her behaviors at 50, and didn't pass away until 84, so hers was very slow progression.

My hubby is wonderful, and on most days no one would ever know anything was different. But as you know, we do see the changes, and sometimes I do the worst case scenario. So you caught me when I wasn't trying to convey something, but so far this is also a very slow process.

I don't tell people about this much, but I appreciate you asking. Now I think I'll go back to my denial mode! You know the one, De Nile is not just a river in Eqypt! :) Susan