Saturday, July 13, 2013

shrinking wood shop

My cabinet shop was 450 square feet in the main room.

That is way too small, but I made it work by using compact machinery and by moving assembled cabinets out of the shop immediately on completion.

It worked, but now I am shrinking that shop into a 200 square foot space. No wide belt sander, not even a chop saw. The base under the planer was reduced to about 10" including a set of good castors. The air compressor goes on a similar base with castors.

The difference is in output. The old shop was setup and designed to build kitchen and bath cabinets, using a lot of 4 by 8 foot panels, and doing the job fairly quickly. Once the cabinets for the house are finished the shop will morph into a small wood shop.

My goal in retirement is to write, to read, to do some art work AND a little wood work now and then. Not having a wood shop available has been a pain, but I have a lot of other projects.

Besides, have you seen what the outside of this place looks like? Don't look.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, have you decided to move permanently back to Idaho? And are you rebuilding the house after the flood?

Good to regroup, both mentally and physically. Hope all is well, Susan

dave said...

I have committed a year to work on rebuilding the house. At the end of that time i will decide if I should stay here, sell the house and move or some other option.
Right now I am guessing that i will like it here, even alone, and will stay long term, but I will leave the door open to change.
The NEVER word can get one in trouble (so can the ALWAYS word!)