Tuesday, January 22, 2008

gift of love

My mom used to crochet.

Little string and a tiny hook and her right hand would blur as she made a chain, I think she called it.

Two of my daughters crochet. One of them has sold a pile of her work, but she works with fat fuzzy yarn and a hook the size of my first finger. She goes right at it too.

Then there is my oldest. Mildly compulsive (like her dad) and full of way more enthusiasm than any of the rest of us. She doesn’t crochet regularly, but when she does she goes at like a dervish.

Anyway for Miriam’s birthday, Arline -- the oldest one I just mentioned -- crocheted an afghan for Miriam. It is nice and fluffy, just right for a mid afternoon nap.

Then to make it really special she made this label. She quotes King David in Psalms 139:19.

It is a piece of beauty and a treasure. We will make good use of it.

And imagine making those stitches and counting: “fifty six thousand and three; fifty six thousand and four . . . :

PS Deanna tells me that she crochets and Arline knits, so I have it wrong in my head. You gals know the difference but I may not!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet papa, Arline Knits. I crochet. ;-0

dave said...

oops. I should know the difference, but I am a guy!

Anonymous said...

LOL! True enough, Dea. I do knit. I prefer it, anal woman that I am. But I can crochet. I can. Just don't want to. LOL!

The afghan for Momma was knitted.

Anonymous said...

Another funny. I did NOT count past 12 when I was making this thing. (don't MAKE me!!! I am NOT your numbers girl!!! There are WAY too many of them!) But when I got it all done, in light of the label... I thought it would be fun to know exactly how many stitches there really were so... I did the math. I DID count the stitches across. And then I counted the blocks (that make it look like a basket weave) X 12 (how many rows in a block and... then did the math. I was rather shocked by the huge number. LAUGHED and swore I would NOT make this one again! :)

dave said...

shucks, I figured you were busy working, and counting:
twenty thousand two hundred and twenty one
twenty thousand two hundred and twenty two
and so on
dad