Wednesday, October 1, 2008

fall camping

My family have always been campers.

Sometimes it was recreation, but it the old times, it was a necessity. My mom and her family (mom was about 12 at the time) spent the winter in the idaho mountains in a pair of tents. Imagine the amount of firewood they went through.

We lived in a tent while we built our house some years ago. The girls were teens!

But now we camp for recreation.

Last weekend was our final camp trip of the year, though we will sleep in our tear for another week. (We area daughter visiting, and the tear is our bedroom!)

Fall in the mountain west has warm days and cold nights. Temps often dip close to freezing.

Last weekend we camped with our 2nd daughter's family. We were not at great elevation, but it was cold at night. The campground was in a narrow box canyon. The sun came up at 10:30 and went down about 4. Without the sun it was cool to cold.

Miriam used to take care of so many of the details of any adventure, and now that I do, I forget some things some times. I make lists and try to remember, but there is a lot she used to do that I did not fully appreciate.

So we took our tear drop, with the big comforter on the bed, but no extra blankets. (I try to always have two extras). It was just cold enough at night that I always was on the edge of being fairly uncomfortable.

The 3rd night, granddaughter Brianna (who is a dear soul) found us an extra blanket and it was so wonderful.

It is amazing how important some of the little things can be.

1 comment:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I remember when I was on the ambulance, we used to have thermal sheets. They were like foil and actually very warm. But nothing compares to a soft fluffy blanket. Glad Brianna found you an extra blanket to keep warm with:)