Sunday, November 2, 2008

unfinished

Thursday, after the water system was working, David took Ray and I out to look at other cabins.

He had been involved with this area long enough he knew the stories about most of them. Interesting, at least.

There was the three story factory turned log structure, well put together by professionals, obviously. It had a bank of $600 batteries and a generator that would seamlessly go from battery to generator without any interruption.

We decided we did not want to know how much it cost.

There were more modest cabins that were well used, a few that were a bit short of glory but were loved and some that were misused.

But the ones that talked to me the most were the unfinished ones.

One in particular. Solid concrete footings, straight and strong block foundation. Log walls with large logs, maybe 15 to 18” on the small end. Absolutely meticulous craftsmanship in each detail. The logs fit tight enough you could not put a knife blade between them. The arches where logs intersect were wonderfully done.

But in the middle there were trees 15 or 20 feet high, testifying that the job was stopped for some reason. The floor joists, large logs, carefully mortised into the lowest row, had rotted enough they had fallen into the crawl space. The top layer of logs on the walls were rotting.

I know the owner. His workmanship is truly impressive, but I was saddened by the amount of time, and money that went into what was done, and was largely wasted.

The job was too big, the cabin too large, the time and money too short, I would guess.

There were others that were not finished. Across the road from Ray’s cabin there is a cabin that was started, No foundation on this one, the logs sit on logs standing on end. The logs are smaller, maybe 6” at the small end.

The story is that the owner had intended to make this a year around home, but had a heart attack and died before he could finish his dream.

And I wondered if the busy work I am doing, really would be the way I would like to spend the last part of my life, if I knew how it was to be.

All around us are broken promises and broken dreams. These were not unique, and I have a few of them in my life.

I find nothing but sadness in all of these unfinished projects.

Will I be able to finish my own? I cannot know.

3 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Dave, none of us know. But as long as we have hope and a dream, I don't think any of the other stuff really matters. For every broken promise and dream, we have a few success stories to tell and promises we were able to keep.

I was touched by this post. I felt this way several times while I was cleaning out my parents house. Their hopes and dreams...

Unknown said...

Beautiful post Dave and well worth considering.

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts. My unfinished projects are innumerable. Mostly of the fabric/quilty variety, but... still many too many.

When I've tried before to sort thru and eliminate, I've fallen in love again with each and every project. NOT what I had planned. LOL!

OHWELL!!! Maybe some things are meant to never be finished. I know that I've finished things for others, I suspect that there will be others who will finish things for me.

I guess the GOOD thing is that I'm dreaming and creating and working on things. I'm not a veggie. I don't have alz. I am BLESSED!

Three cheers for the unfinisheds in my life! I'm alive and well!