Thursday, December 4, 2008

tupperware and pyrex

I am impressed with my daughter Linda’s kitchen.

It is not that she has a huge pantry, or the largest refrigerator.

Look in her cooking pan shelf and there is one set of pans that nicely nestle together. The lids for each are in a space on the right. Her mixing bowls are a series of nesting stainless steel bowls. Her kitchen hardware drawer has just what she needs, no duplicates (except for wooden spoons).

Her dish cabinets are a bit more complicated since she has two different sets that she uses from.

Today I decided (I was looking for a “lost” part to our flour mill) to take mixing bowl / small appliance cupboard apart. I got Miriam busy doing something else.

We have at least two dozen bowls that might be used as mixing bowls. I cut that back to the number we use regularly. We have every Tupperware thing ever made, and I set them aside.

I know I cannot go getting rid of stuff as long as she is here, so the stuff I want to go away I stacked I the back of the bottom shelf. I put the two crock pots, the waffle maker and the popcorn popper up front to hide the stacks of plastic behind.

The top shelf nicely holds all the storage and mixing containers we ever use. We do have two huge Tupperware bowls (maybe 15” across). I use those a lot for all sorts of things, but jello moulds, cake pans for heart, diamond shape cakes went to the back, along with pans for angle food cake and cheese cake.

I found a half dozen nice 9” pie pans, and a dozen or more of those throw away aluminum foil kinds. They were designed to be thrown away, but not in this kitchen. And Pyrex. We have several of every size ever made, I am sure. I stacked them back in the top cupboard.

Yogurt cups, sorta nesting freezer containers, storage stuff of every Tupperware vintage all went out of in the back of the cupboard. I replaced them with recent transparent plastic containers.

In Miriam's defense I have to say that we have the accumulation of my parents, my grandparents and Miriam's parents stuff. No wonder our collection is so broad. And there is something not quite right throwing out perfectly good kitchen goodies.

When no one is looking the back of the cupboard will slowly get less and less crowded.

1 comment:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

My dad, bless his heart, was not as discreet as you, and would just toss things away in front of my mom. This upset her greatly. On the other hand, I threw out countless yogurt cups, ect. that Dad insisted on keeping. I had trouble understanding his logic in that area.

Glad you are sorting through your stuff. It helps to see what you have and what you need to eventually get rid of when eyes are not looking!