Monday, December 1, 2008

go?

She was 19, I was 39.

It was her wedding day. I was her father.

Just before the actual service began we stood together and visited. She and I were very close, some said we had grown up together, then they would qualify that with a question about whether I would ever grow up.

The wedding was outside in the back yard of a dear friend. It was very a casual service. She had made her own dress, shirts and ties for the men. There were a hundred people there, I would guess. Friends and family. My old grandfather who was 90 was there. Miriam's dad was there, both of my parents.

It was a joyous time at the end of a hot summer day. The shade was refreshing. The refreshments after the wedding were fresh sliced peaches and ice cream.

As current weddings go, it was very inexpensive, but it was attended by people who knew and loved. Me, the former wedding photographer, walked the bride down the isle with my trusted Leica in my other hand. Went through the ceremony of giving her away (not very good thought if you think about it), and then raised my camera and took a picture of it all. The pastor was an old friend.

But back to that moment before we went down the grassy aisle, between those borrowed chairs.

I turned to her, and said: “Arline, I have a lot of mixed feelings today. I really do hate to see you go. I have loved you all of your life, but on the other hand . . . I am glad to see you on your way.” I hesitated really expecting a smiling rebuke.

“You know Dad, I have the exact same feelings.” We laughed together.

This week we had company, daughter 2 and her family. We throughly enjoyed every minute they were here, but in a way that almost makes me feel guilty for saying so, I was glad to send them on their way too.

Maybe that is the reality of all visits -- both ways!!

Footnote: That wedding was 32 years ago, they are still married (to each other);.

3 comments:

StefanieRose said...

Its wonderful to think of you as such a proud father. I know you are, and a proud grandfather too. I am glad you had a good visit, and I understand wanting to get back to your own life. But you will miss them when they are gone. I love you.

rainbowheart said...

My heart is full. Dave, this is a wonderful and loving post. Any person would be proud to call you family. You have such a loving and caring heart. Thank you for sharing this post with us....

Anonymous said...

You know, I've always wondered if I wasn't just a female clone daughter. LOL!

I LOVE having any and all of my family here. And yes, I'm always happy to have them leave. That is NO reflection on them or our relationship, I don't think. It's more about whatever is "normal" and the comfort of it.

So, Daddy, once again, I feel the same way.