Monday, January 5, 2009

and more

It is winter after all.

More snow last night. December one of the snowiest winters here in this valley.

We need a convergence of cold weather and moisture to get snow, and we don’t always get both at the same time. More snow is predicted each day this week.

Some years back I bought a box trailer to use in my work. The trailer box is 12 feet long and 6’ wide and a bit over 6’ high inside, so it is not a tiny trailer, for sure. Right after I bought it, we had a snow storm, 5 or 6 inches of snow.

I hooked the trailer to my trusty Chevy pickup and went off to work.

The trailer did not have brakes and it was not easy to stop or start or to keep moving in a straight line. I brought it back to where I bought it and had them install brakes. What a difference that made.

I have pulled it through a good number of snow storms since then. But that was then, today is another day of retirement for me and I don’t expect to leave our acre. I’ll take the dog out, shovel a bit of snow, and spend the day in my cabinet shop working on a portable work desk for inside the house.

While I have a nice small studio, in the winter I hate to spend money to heat it. I figured I could do a lot of work here in the house, so I set up a card table in a corner behind the stove and set up shop.

It has worked out well enough to encourage me to build this desk. It is quite low, with doors that open on the lower section. The doors support the drop leaf from the top cabinet, giving me a good work space, AND the ability to put it away fairly easily.

Don’t push the put away too far. It is behind a door and I intend to work there, and not clean there.

In the long run I need to be working more toward systems where I can be with Miriam and enjoy her company as well as be her caretaker.

It is snowing hard right now, Leo thinks he wants to go out, but he will want to come back in very soon.

No comments: