Thursday, January 29, 2009

oops

I have been working in my wood shop this week.

The organization of the shop has been ignored for a long time. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either. You get used to how things are setup and it is easy to ignore the design faults.

So I have been trying to correct those flaws, getting a place for everything to go so the horizontal surfaces will be easier to keep cleared of stuff.

So I was re-sawing these boards to make some drawers. They were about 3 ½ inches wide, wider than my table saw will cut in one pass so I was cutting them half way then turning the pice over and running it through again.

That is pretty standard procedure and nothing unusual about it at all, woodworkers do it all the time.

So I was on the last run through of the last board and it was a bit thinner than the others, and I was pushing it through with a stick but holding it in place with my left hand. The blade was safely inside the wood.

As I slid my hand across I felt something and I knew instantly what it was.

I looked at my finger and blood was oozing, not squirting. I looked it a bit more, got my handkerchief out and wrapped around it while I looked for Band-Aids.

The blade I was using has very tall teeth on each side of the blade, it slices through plywood better that way.

I had run my left pinky finger over that row of tall teeth and had cut into my finger less than 1/16 of an inch. The cut was just back from the nail a tiny bit. It was more irritating than anything. I know that one of the ways guys loose body parts is forgetting that hidden blade.

Not much blood and not much soreness, but a reminder.

So I am chastised, and healing without even a scar.

And, that should keep my careful for another 8 or 10 years.

I hope.

2 comments:

~Betsy said...

I'm glad you're OK. Be careful!

dave said...

I am usually very careful. I stuck a thumb in the saw many years ago and that taught me a huge lesson!
Keep your stupid fingers away from any where near that blade.
This time i cheated and got caught!