Tuesday, March 31, 2009

our "notebook"

Remember the Movie “The Notebook?”

In the movie the couple had some how anticipated the trials of Alzheimer's and had prepared a book of stories to be shared later.

My daughters have been thinking and working (and stealing -- more on that one). This weekend Miriam was given an 8 ½ by 11 book with a hundred pages of pictures. Our whole life is in those pictures. My parents and grandparents. Miriam’s parents, her as a child, us together. A whole page devoted to each of our daughters just the little school type pictures (except that I took most of them).

Major events were remembered, and at the end there was a picture of the two of us that I had never seen before.

A year or so ago, Lora and Bri came to visit (daughter 2 and her older daughter). We went for a walk at the Birds of Prey Refuge along the snake river, and as we were walking Lora pointed her camera back and us and snap.

The picture is ok of me, my head is down a bit, but is near perfect of Miriam.

I knew a woman a while ago who after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s started to build her a “memory garden.” I never saw it, but I was very impressed by the thought.

Any way, Thank you Lora and Arline and Deanna and Linda (as well as Andrew who was the scanner in chief.)

(For some time when my daughters came to visit they left with unlabeled boxes they had pilfered from their mom’s collection. The boxes were the family pictures that Miriam has guarded. We took them to Texas, so they would be safe. Now the girls have them, and they are being scanning to be put on a DVD and shared with the whole family. This book is the early print version, just for Miriam.)

4 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Oh Dave, that book is going to be such a beautiful keepsake. I'm so happy the girls did that for you both.

A few Christmas's ago, my daughter gave my parents a photo album, the kind where you get the little black corners to hold the pictures on the pages. Mom and Dad started to sift through their pictures but didn't get the process finishes before they died. I have the album now and plan to fill it with pictures of them through the years with my daughter so she has a keepsake of her time with them.

I haven't been able to watch "The Notebook" yet. I admire anyone who is strong enough to view it. I hear it is a beautiful story.

dave said...

The Notebook is a beautiful story of love and devotion. The book that we have is printed, but each picture appears to be held in place by those little corners y speak about.

Thanks for your good words, Chris. You are a dear.

dave said...

The Notebook is a beautiful story of love and devotion. The book that we have is printed, but each picture appears to be held in place by those little corners y speak about.

Thanks for your good words, Chris. You are a dear.

dave said...

The Notebook is a beautiful story of love and devotion. The book that we have is printed, but each picture appears to be held in place by those little corners y speak about.

Thanks for your good words, Chris. You are a dear.