Thursday, May 28, 2009

Happiness is a privilege, not a right. Read the fine print. Jay Leno

Our average last frost is the middle of May, this year that was exactly right.

I put that tunnel over the top of my tomato/pepper/eggplant plants. It looked good, but we had frost two different times. I should have closed the ends when it frosted, but I was out of town the last time.

They will survive, though I did replace one that looked particularly bad, but it will set production back a week or two. I can live with that too.

Once I knocked the weeds down, the veggies looked pretty good. Carrots which can be difficult to get up (very small seeds that can’t be planted too deep and slow germination), but I have a very fine crop coming along.

Peas are coming along fine.

Yesterday I planted some corn, sweet, flour and pop. My neighbor has corn almost knee high. Hmm.

I do enjoy gardening, it keep me sane, if indeed I am. It is good for my psyche.

But, how long before caring for Miriam will make gardening a trial, then a pain and finally impossible? I tell my grandkids to not borrow trouble, to not think too much about things you have no control over, and I am not obsessed, but I do think about it.

Some day things will change, but in the meantime I will enjoy my garden and the veggies and fruit that comes from it.

Yesterday I wanted to make a salad that involved some boiled eggs over baby spinach. I put the eggs to boil, set the timer and asked Miriam to turn it off at the right time.

I came in a bit later and there were two egg salad sandwiches sitting on the deck. That is OK, but it is not what I told her and it is not what I had in mind, so we ate baby spinach salad with an egg salad sandwich (along with pasta and asparagus soup).

That kind of change I can endure for a LONG time.

No comments: