Friday, May 29, 2009

heat exhaustion

Yesterday was a wonderful day.

The sun was bright, the temps in the low 90’s.

I worked hard. I dug dirt. I mowed lawn. I irrigated the garden. 
I sweated and enjoyed the experience of it all.

When I went to bed I had the feeling of completion of a good day. 
But when I woke up I was nauseated and dizzy. Later I checked my blood pressure and it was abnormally low for me.

Classic signs of Heat Exhaustion. Not good stuff. It can be dangerous.

I spent the day moping around feeling a lot under par. Tonight, after several naps, a fist full of anti acids and a lot of water, I am feeling better, but still tired.

The symptoms are not new and the problem is well installed in my head. Some say that the “elderly” are particularly susceptible. I guess I am elderly now.

So, drink more water, stay out of the direct sun, and pace yourself.

David, were you listening to me?

1 comment:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Take care of yourself Dave. I care about you.

Keep pushing the fluids and monitor your BP. I hope you can relax, as much as a caregiver can, for a couple of days.

My dad loved the heat and the hotter it was, the better he liked it. I worried about him. He used to tell me I was like a mother hen and to knock it off.

Cluck cluck.