Saturday, May 23, 2009

laura (and I think i have told this one before!)

Many years ago we met Laura.

She was 7, as I remember. We were both temporary Texans, they from New York State, to Texas by way of Idaho and Southern California. We straight from Idaho.

Her dad (another of those David’s in my life) was a hospital nutritionist, whose parent company loaned him around a lot. Mom was a nurse. We all became good friends, Grandpa and Grandma, Laura and her brother Scott. He was too young to remember us much.

Laura’s birthday is a few days from mine. I have long forgotten the exact day, which is the way it is, but when it is my birthday I send her an email, via her parents.

“Laura, wherever you are, have a happy Birthday -- Grandpa Dave.” Sometimes mom would answer and tell me where Laura was, sometimes Dad would and sometimes I would get no answer.

Last year I sent the usual message, and months later I was looking through my computer and I had two email addresses for Dad David. Hmm. I think I used the abandoned one, so I resent the message, apologizing for being late.

Mom Corinne wrote this wonderful letter telling me that Laura was married, was due to have a baby very soon, that she was in Michigan at the Seminary with her about to be pastor husband. When he finished at the Seminary they were moving to Florida, where he had a job.

And she sent me Laura’s email address. So I wrote and Laura wrote back and sent pictures when Julian Bridget was born and again later. She was a beautiful baby, and I am not one to swoon over newborns.

I explained to Miriam that Laura’s baby was our first great great grand child, since she called us grandpa when she was 7 and she just had a baby, we were great grandparents.

So, once again. Happy Birthday Laura. Best to you and your little one and your dear husband..

No comments: