Sunday, November 29, 2009

changes

Having said what I did about the Cathleen Falsani book, I need to say a bit more.

Every once in a while a transformative book comes into my hands. It is not often, maybe only fist full of times in a lifetime.

To make it harder to list, those who seem so important at the moment, may not be the most important over a life time. Still, I have this short list.

At this point for sure, Falsani is on that list. I listened to the book, the author reads it herself, right after I got it. Loaded it on my tiny iPod and listened as I worked in the garden.

Since then I have listened to it another couple of times. There is so much in this book of stories about grace, the big kind.

Last week on our way up to grandparents day, I set up the “new” iPod with a gizmo that ran the sound through the car stereo system. Our car is will be old enough to vote this year and the sound system is not fabulous, but it worked well.

Miriam and I listened to the whole book by the time we got home. It is not a long read, and the iPod plays it in real time (meaning if it took her an hour to read it takes us an hour to listen.”

Our trip to SanFrancisco and back home the long way, will involve about 24 hours of driving. I’ll make sure I have some good books on there, in addition to “tunes.”

Mozart would understand, I think.

No comments: