Thursday, November 12, 2009

move

I am moving my small art studio.

That does not sound difficult, but it gets complex.

The studio I have been using is small (which is workable) and it was well insulated in the old days but now with retirement financial restrictions, heating it in cold weather with an electric heater is not so good.

Then there is the issue of downsizing, of getting rid of things and stuff and junk we no longer need or will use.

There is another space, a tiny bit larger that is next to my wood shop in the same building. It is not much better insulated, but that can be upgraded quite easily. I used to have my cabinet shop office in that space. It is a decent space with a 9 foot ceiling (lots of room for tall shelves!).

Back before she retired I told miriam I would make her a ceramic studio in that space and that promise and the firestorm that any out loud consideration produced, put any move on the back burner. But ceramics is a spendy hobby to setup, and she the time when she could do the work has past I fear.

So, moving my studio to a more friendly and easier to heat space makes more sense.

So I began working on making that studio work. The window had a broken pane, so I installed a new window that I had left over from a job, and began relocating all of the stuff inside the space.

I have worked on it all week, quite steadily. It is looking good. It will be a good place to work, and as a bonus, it has a nice window that looks over a very private space. The law of unintended consequences is at work here too.

The walls need paint and the trim on the doors and the base needs to be changed, and the lights can be upgraded and and and!

What was I thinking, I wonder at times. I am not always sure.

No comments: