Wednesday, March 10, 2010

lamb?

March is an unsettled month around here.

Some sun, some clouds, occasional rain, and lots of wind. Shucks it has snowed in March, but not much or often.

We had a few days of sun, and I got the grapes pruned and some of the bramble berries. Then it turned cold and windy.

Today it rained a good share of the day. I was glad to be able to work in my warm shop.

When we get a few days of warm it is easy to think it is time to plant something. But even hardy crops that like cool weather need the dirt to get a bit warmer. If it is too cold the seed just sits there.

There are some things I planted last fall: Kale, Garlic, Spinach. They are doing ok, but there is not much growth yet.

The cold frame has salad greens to put I salads. I planted “Cool weather Mesclun” and that is looking pretty good, but most of the growth happened before it turned cold.

But now is a good time to prune, and clean up and get rid of debris that was last year's garden.

I'll get a trailer load of composted manure soon.

Gotta continue to work at improving the dirt.

Last year I put 16 grape prunings into a pot and kept it most and 12 sprouted. I planted some myself and gave the rest away. This year I have more I the pots.

I can always get rid of the excess.

No comments: