Friday, March 5, 2010

simplify what?

During our Texas years, we drove a small sedan – and pulled a small trailer.

2 liter engine, 4 doors, basic with a nice radio, a good heater, but no air conditioning – in TEXAS. But it would get 30 to 34 mpg and we drove a lot back and forth between Idaho and north Texas.

I was a sculpture major at the University there and I did a lot of work with steel. I also did a bit of tile work from time to time, and used that vehicle combination worked well for us.

The other day I got nostalgic and wishing I had a simple transportation system, like we had then.

In so many ways I envy those who do not need a car for everything they do, or maybe don't need a car at all. I am sure that sounds better than it is, but out here in the open west, a car or two are pretty important.

Right now I own 4 trailers of various sizes. One is the tear which I can pull with our little coupe. The others are larger: a 21 foot travel trailer, a dual axle flat bed and a 6 by 12 box trailer I used when I was contracting.

To go back to the one small car thing I would have to get rid of those big trailers and settle for another smallish “hauler” to pull behind the Coupe.

Hmm.

It is not going to happen, though it probably should.

Way back there somewhere I hear old Hank Thoreau muttering and shaking his head.

No comments: