Tuesday, May 4, 2010

asparagus

This is Asparagus season here on the micro farm.

Our patch is not huge, but it provides about as much as we can eat. In fact we give some away at times.

Last week (Tuesday) I made some Asparagus cream soup. It was good, but for a cook that never made gravy or has any real knowledge about thickening things like soup, it was too thin. We ate it any way!

Wednesday, I made a thicker soup, added more asparagus, the soup left over from the day before and some sauteed tofu cubes. It was pretty good.

Thursday, I extended the soup base again, adding more asparagus and this time shell pasta.

Then I skipped the asparagus for a while, (but today we start over).

Until hot weather sets in, asparagus is a cool weather crop, we will have more than enough for soup every day.

It is sort of like my squash. Last year I had a bumper crop of winter squash. My favorite (butternut) grew in profusion and I still have a pile of them in the pantry.

Trouble is that I don't know too many ways to use them. I made squash soup a time or two, but it didn't ring too many bells. Baked squash is good sometimes, but some how I don't get to it often enough.

So I make pumpkin pies. I make them two at a time and for two people that is a lot of pie. Takes a good week to eat them both, but I force myself (haha).

It is a tough life. (But we eat well).

2 comments:

Creatrix Dea said...

I LOVE asparagus for breakfast--sauteed with onions in scrambled eggs. MMM!!!!

dave said...

I'll give that a try, it sounds good.