Thursday, July 22, 2010

knife sharpening

Today I was cleaning up the garlic crop.

I picked out a knife out of the travel trailer.

The knife had a well used wood handle, along with a bit of a burn.

But it was the bade that intrigued me. I was taught to sharpen a Linoleum/Carpet knife by a real master. The whole blade is sharpened, not just the point. This 8 or 9" blade had been sharpened well. The blade had been sharpened almost a quarter of an inch.

That made me wonder where that knife came from. It has been around our house as long as I can remember, it is not a new knife.

Miriam's grandfather owned a small corner grocery store. Her father, as a young man, worked in that store, partly as a butcher. I can't prove anything, but it seems possible that this knife goes back that far and was sharpened often by a very capable hand.

I own a fair amount of used tools, and I wonder what the story is about each one of them.

There is a draw knife in my collection of tools that belonged to my own biological father. Mom told me, a very long time ago, that while dad was using the tool, it slipped and took a hunk of my father's knee.

I wonder about the other stories my tools might tell.

The knife I was using today was not really sharp and I was using it carelessly (I know better) and I cut my thumb. That is not remotely unusual, unfortunately.

No comments: