Wednesday, July 14, 2010

tools

When Daughter 1 asked/told me we were going to her house, I asked her what she might want me to do while I was there.

Few things are worse than wanting to do something useful and not having the right tools, even though I own the right tools. So I asked.

“A simple trellis over the trumpet vine, would be great.”

I am not sure she used the word “simple” and if she did i choose not to hear it! A good trellis does not touch the wall, but sits out a foot of so. It also is hinged in such a way that it can be lowered, in case the wall needs to be painted or such.

As you can see this is getting more complex. I brought most of the right tools, and son in law had the rest, so that was OK.

But it was hot and I do not do well working very long in high heat, so it was done in bursts. By the time it was finished it was a couple hundred pounds of wood, but once in place it worked and looked just as I had envisioned.

These vines are on the west side of the kitchen. The summer sun beats against the wall raising the kitchen temp. Even an empty trellis will help cool the house.

No comments: