Friday, December 31, 2010

luxury

This morning after I woke up, but was still in my warm bed, I began to think about luxuries.

Someone said that middle class was when you can afford to do more than just survive.

But to me it was different.

I am old, I know, but I remember when an add for a good car might include this line: “Radio and heater.” The radio was AM only, and played through a real tin can speaker, and the heater on a cold day might never warm the inside of the vehicle, but there was one there.

Then I think of the real “old days” when travel was in an unheated and often open horse drawn device of some sort.

For the last ten nights we have slept in a 12’ cargo trailer. We had a mattress on the floor, a pile of blankets, but we were warm. Since we were plugged into “shore” power, we had an electric heater, lights and even a portable toilet.

It is 16 degrees outside now, and all do not have a warm fire or a warm bed to snuggle into, and I feel so luxurious in my small, almost tiny, house.

And, being a good card carrying christian, while I am feeling blessed, I also feel a bit guilty for all of this.

No comments: