Friday, April 1, 2011

cancer

One of my closest friends informs me that he has cancer.

The diagnosis is partial. That there is a cancer is not a question, but whether it is aggressive or benign is yet to be determined.

Most cancer is treatable if not totally curable and i am sure he will survive all of this, but that word scares me, as it does the rest of us.

Friend has surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks. Then the extent of the disease and the treatment.

All of this reminds me that I and we are mortal and that our time here is finite at best, and that even good living does not insure us against problems.

My friend is one of the most health conscious people I know. He eats and lives by the health book (and does it quietly). Sometimes all of that is modified by some less than wonderful genetics.

And that one is beyond our control.

No comments: