Monday, May 2, 2011

not so slow cooker

I got up early and chopped veggies.

Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onion, Mushrooms, Turnip, Quinoa, TVP (fancy soy bean stuff- also known as "monkey meat")just about anything I could find in the pantry or refrigerator.

I put it all in the Slow Cooker, turned it on and went to church.

When I returned I popped the lid and jammed in a fork. Rats, my slow cooker was a LOT faster than I had expected. I made a green salad and sliced some good bread. It was not a bad meal, but it was not what I had intended.

For the next meal I put it all in a baking dish, added some tomato puree (I dried a lot of tomatoes last year and am having trouble figuring ways to use them. This time I took a fist full and soaked them in hot water, then buzzed them in the blender). On top of that I put a layer of biscuit dough and pushed it back in the oven.

There was too much water in the tomato sauce and it was all way too wet. The biscuits were nicely done on the top and not on the bottom. Intellectually I know that you put the dough on hot vegetables, and that it all had to be almost dry. I know all of that, on some mysterious level.

Miriam, who never complains, did not, but I was underjoyed.

Seems like my experiments are experimental.

No comments: