Monday, June 27, 2011

Take me home

I have a friend whose wife had AD.

In time he had to put her in a home. Neither were happy with it, but it had to be done.

He would visit her often, probably daily or more. He was a good husband/caretaker.

When it was time for him to go she would cry and beg him to "taker her home."

I know his heart would break each time. He dearly loved her and wanted to have her close to him, but it was impossible to go back to the days when all was well.

I think of him when Miriam cries about moving back to our home, here in Idaho. It is a nice home. It is comfortable and we have enjoyed living here, but we need to be in another situation right now, one that she cannot really understand.

The family, including me, know what we are doing is the best for her and us, but Miriam not not capable of good reasoning now days. She does not mean to hurt me.

But, none of that makes it any easier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how incredibly hard this is. Please take very good care of you. Without you, Miriam will be so much the poorer. I know you know all that. Just wanted to send you my good thoughts for being well and finding your footing one day at a time. Susan

dave said...

Susan.
I do my best to take care of myself, but I am not always sure what to do.
The first couple of weeks of being close to daughter has been very good, and comforting.
I am glad.