Sunday, January 1, 2012

just passing

This was a crazy week.


We didn’t travel any really long distances. A couple hundred miles one direction, then the same the other.


What made the driving memorable were the cars that passed me! I don’t drive terribly fast and trucks and Chevy pickups occasionally pass me.


Last weekend were driving back from church in Portland. We were right where I84 merges with I5. I was paying attention to my driving and then I was passed by an orange Lamborghini. I know what it was because there was a big signature across the back panel.


It was one of those cars that can go 200 miles and hour and have little use on 55 mile per hour highways, but my envy is groveling.


As spendy cars go, it was not a real expensive version, you can buy a new one for a cool quarter of a million dollars. Wow. I read about a 1.3 million dollar car the other day. Probably I won’t see one of those any time soon.


Then later in the week I was driving on I84 across the lower right corner of Oregon and a really nice 4 door sedan passed me. I looked on the trunk lid and it said: Maserati. Wow. I didn’t know that companies that make really fast cars sometimes make really decent looking 4 door sedans, but there was one.


You can have one of those for a mere $130,000.


I suppose that includes a radio and heater?


Now I show my age. In my younger years, you could buy a new car without either radio OR heater. Sears sold heaters that could be installed, in case your southern car went north. Radios were all AM versions, with a load of tubes that ate power, and sounded bad at best. It was not a good idea to sit and “visit” with your girl friend with the radio on. The battery would go dead amazingly fast!


I know that one for a fact.


I did notice that in England, at least, you can “rent” both a Ferrari and a Lamborghini, and drive them each 6 miles on a track, for about $400! The joys of money!

No comments: