Thursday, January 5, 2012

small m miracle

In the musical "Fiddler on the Roof" there was a song about miracles.

While I am ready to admit that I am taking that song way way out of context, and that my miracle is a micro-miracle at best, I had that moment this morning.

On a whim I grabbed a large peanut butter jar and headed for the CoachHouse. That is the name I call my new building project. There are a lot of coach houses in this old Washington town. Always a town of some wealth, there were a lot of coach houses built in the old days. Some survive and some have been converted to very nice small living quarters.

The only thing mine has in common with a real coach house is that I have a Coachmen camper trailer encapsulated in the structure.

So this morning I grabbed a peanut butter jar, which has been the basis of all food storage around my life, to check a couple of drawers.

When I rebuilt Coachmen some years ago, there was a space behind the dinette that was a wonderful place for storage. On top is a bin for such things as folding chairs and below two very long drawers.

When I say long I mean 32" or so, They were as long as I could make them before they bumped into another cabinet. Then I put the drawers on full extension hardware that has a load capacity of 100 pounds each. The idea is that it was a good place to store canned food, and it still is.

But the miracle of the morning is that each drawer is tall enough for a peanut butter jar. That gives me a place for 30 or 40 or more jars! Ahh the luxury of it all.

Before we move in I'll paint the tops of the jars with blackboard black paint. Then, with chalk I can write on top the contents of the jar (that idea was from daughter 1).

So, once more my plan seems to be working.

The miracle is that I made those drawers that size!

No comments: