Tuesday, February 7, 2012

fix it time

“You don’t own it until you fix it.”


Some one once said that (I am sure), but it can’t always be true. My Dodge pickup has spark plugs somewhere. I cannot even find them much less replace them. Good thing they go a long ways any more.


Still, there are some things that I can fix. I can sew a button if necessary, and once I did a fair amount of sewing (on camping gear when I was a kid). I am enough of a cook that we won’t starve any time soon. That still does not make me a mechanic.


Yesterday I did open book surgery on my MacBook. The fan had been making a LOT of noise and it was running very hot. The fan was a $50 part, and I’d been inside my Book before, so I dived in.


A good technician could have done what I did in a tenth of the time, but it is winter and my schedule is hardly crowded.


And, it is good to fix something that is at last moderately challenging. Opening a MacBook is not rocket science, but there are a lot ways to get in trouble.


I am fairly fearless about working on my MacBook, butI still won’t be tearing into my Dodge any time soon, even though I might wish I could!


No comments: