Saturday, July 28, 2012

photography -- my view

I have owned (and still own) some of the great film cameras. Those old ones were solid and dependable, but we are in a digital age now and I won't be able to own a Leica quality digital camera -- ever.
On the other hand I have this distinct feeling (aided by observation) that the quality of the camera has only passing relation to the impact of the photograph. Sometimes camera quality affects the results, but mostly it is our eyes that are the weak point.
While I was in art school I avoided using the spendy welders and presses that the departments were full of, on the fear that I would become so habituated to them that once out of school, without those spendy tools I would be unable to produce art.
So I went back to my studio and made block prints by rubbing them with a block of wood rather than using the spendy press in the print studios. I welded with cheap buzz box welders or with my own gas welder.
I see the same with cameras. While the Canon was wonderful. It is out of my price range. Rather than fuss, or take money from another more pressing project, I'll back off to equipment I can afford.
Truth is that none of us have fully exploited our current equipment (welders or cameras or even brains) to its full capacity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you've got it just right. True genius is in the artist's eye, not the equipment.(Although that might help).

I see a sketch by Picasso, a photo by Ansel Adams, and I think, even given the equipment, I could never imagine, nor capture the art.

Glad your home is becoming just that, and I wish you happiness with your beautiful wife. Susan

And thank goodness for dear friends.