Monday, October 29, 2007

grandparents

My father was killed when I was 4.

Mom remarried when I was 8. My step dad and I were not friends until decades later. Being a step parent is hard, on a good day. Being a step child is rough always.

We lived in a small town in south idaho, the same town where I was born and still live (though we have lived in Washington, Oregon, Montana and Texas, for brief times).

Moms parents always lived in the same town.

My dads sister, who was very close friends with my mother before mom and dad got together, moved to this town in the early 50’s, later my aunt’s mother (my grandmother) moved to town, followed for a short time by grandmother’s ex husband, my grandfather.

I was surrounded by family growing up.

My grandmothers in particular were very important to me.

I had them all until I was in my mid 40’s, then in a decade I lost them all, mom, step dad, grandparents, the old guard left me. The redhead’s parents died during that time too.

In a fairly short time, I went from being a grandkid to being the patriarch in my little corner of my family.

It has been said that one of the most important relationships a kid has is with their grandparents.

I agree.

4 comments:

~Betsy said...

I agree, Dave. My grandparents were so important to me when I was growing up. My parents have also been so critical in my children's lives (my husband's, too but my parents were always around). I look forward to the day when I get to be a grandma.

dave said...

When it happens, you will be a good grandmother, Betsy.

I also think that kids who don't have grandparents should "adopt" some. (Read that somewhere once).

StefanieRose said...

I MAYBE TOLD YOU THAT DAVID. GOSH! :-P I had a few great grandparents but when they were not around I adopted you. I have never be so grateful to have you David.

Unknown said...

It is surprising to me that things can change so suddenly and so drastically and permanently. Even after experiencing the sudden changes I seem no better prepared when it happens again.

My grandparents were so important to me. I have worried about my own inability to be there for my grandchildren. It really is a significant relationship.