Monday, October 29, 2007

50 years together

When Miriam was diagnosed one of the first things she said to me was: “I hope I am alive, and I mean really alive, for out 50th anniversary.”

We had been married 43 years then.

June 10, 2006 was the magic date. Our daughters planned and put together a great party for us. They borrowed the home of a high school class mate (a dentist now) and invited family and friends. They secretly planned and cooked and prepared. They sent us an invitation.

It was a perfect day, the party was outside, in our friend's back yard. Miriam was on top of her game. She was sharp, she knew people, and she moved amoung the guests like a the great lady she is.

All of her brothers and sisters were there, all 7 of them. It was the last time they would all be together -- one brother died a few months later. My sister was there, but our brother couldn't make it.

At the party, the girls invited people to donate money to a fund to send Mom and Dad on a cruise to Alaska. Our friends kicked in wonderfully.

Then the girls asked: “Dad, who do you want to go with you on this cruise?” I think they thought I would name one daughter.

I thought a brief moment and said: “All of you.” “You asked me what I want, that is it. I may not get it and that is OK, but that is what I want.”

Even now I am so amazed that they did it. We are not a family with a lot of money and it was a sacrifice for all. We spent a week on the cruise ship -- the 6 of us. You rarely get that kind of time with your adult children this late in life. No spouses, no kids, just us. We all enjoyed it so much. (And I love my sons-in-law and adore all of my grandkids, by the way).

It was wonderful.

More on the cruise later.

2 comments:

StefanieRose said...

it does sound beautiful

~Betsy said...

I'm sure Alaska was gorgeous. Congratulations on 50 years!