Friday, November 9, 2007

Yesterday we drove 210 miles from Walla Walla to Portland.
I’ve been making that run since the late 50’s. I’d fill my VW with gas for about $3 and drive. Shucks, a new VW sold for $1600 and change back then.
Louden, Touchet, Umatilla, Irrigon, Boardman. About Wallula Junction the mighty Columbia river shows to the right, not too far down from where it is joined by the Snake. The rest of the way to Portland the Columbia is there, with Washington State on the other shore. Both sides have busy railroad tracks and highways.
The interstate system was being built when I first started this trek. The new roads are faster, but the old road was a lot more interesting.
A few things are nearly the same, most are hugely different. There is a LOT more trucks on the road now, and more farms where there used to be desert, and the price of gas...

We had a good drive. Miriam enjoyed herself, so did Leo the italian Greyhound.
My friends who have experience with AD tell me to travel all we can (and can afford) and enjoy it as much as possible, for the time is coming when travel is not in the cards.

Every time she goes into the restroom at a rest area, I am a bit nervous, but so far she has done just fine.
But what will I do when she cannot be trusted alone? When she needs help one way or the other, will I stop traveling? In Oregon the sign says that I can take a handicapped person into a restroom of the opposite gender.
Hmm. There sure is no way that I am going in the women’s room!

3 comments:

~Betsy said...

Sounds like a lovely drive, Dave.

I wouldn't even worry about going into the ladies room with Miriam when the time comes. Maybe you could find someone to watch the door for you if you explain your situation.

dave said...

I have decided that I will go into the men's restroom with her in tow, after announcing myself fairly loudly. THe law is on my side.
Someone suggested she would be more comfortable if I went with here, and that was the reason for the exclamation!
Thanks for caring Betsy.

Joanne said...

Hi Dave. Your trip sounded wonderful. I agree with those who told you to travel while Miriam is still able. The days when traveling is not in the cards comes all too soon. As far as the bathroom situation, I can see your hesitation about going into the women's room. But if a quick knock on the door, and all is clear, finding someone close by to alert others you're in there might help. Happy traveling.