Friday, December 7, 2007

durn it all

Yesterday was court date.

Two older daughters came down from Washington and Oregon to go with me and the lawyers to a small court room.

It was all over in a few minutes. Mostly the judge repeated boiler plate lines that judges have to say. There was a question or two and a reminder to me to file a report each December, and it was over.

Now, we have guardianship of Miriam.

I should be proud, we have her on drugs to make her easier to get along with (how many husbands or wives wish they could pull that magic trick), and now I have taken some of her rights as a human being, the right to sign contracts etc.

But I am humbled by it all, and a bit wistful of the old days. Now I have really durable power of attorney, that cannot be revoked except by the judge, hmm.

My children tell me that this is the right thing to do and the lawyers agree that it is, so I am to be convinced, I guess.

At least I did get a stack of papers to send to insurance companies, etc, telling them in words they understand that they have to deal with me from here on out.

Durn it all, durn it all.

No comments: