Friday, December 7, 2007

small

I guess we are a couple generations too late.

We heat out house with a wood burning stove.

We have a garden, an orchard, and we can and freeze food from both.

Our house is a bit smaller than some 3 car garages that go with “modern” houses.

And we even drive cars made in the United States.

I don’t want to knock big houses, it’s just that I admire well designed small packages: Ipods, MacBooks, BMW roadsters.

In SF recently, I was reminded of my love of these small houses. Small houses just aren’t being built out here in the grand west, but those old communities where a lot might be 30 by 50 and an equally small house grew on the site.

Some of these little homes have evolved, the epochs are obvious, the stretch marks show up easily. Others are done with great flair and élan.

In a town where a starter house can cost ⅔ to ¾ of a mil, I guess small is essential.

I designed and built our house 31 years ago. At the time it was considered adequate, now it might be quaint, or cute (which means tiny). At this point it is even a bit larger than we might actually need: Miriam and I, along with Leo and cousin Alz.

No comments: