Thursday, January 3, 2008

hmm 2008 already?

This is a new year.

I am pretty introspective by nature, but of late I have not written very much in that vein.

Last year I spent a lot of time with friends: David W and I spent months together daily working on the church remodel; David H went camping with us often, but not often enough; I was blessed to be able to spend a lot of time with Jim who passed on last year. I also made a whole group of new on-line friends.

My hand written journal suffers, but that is OK. It will catch up. Winter seems to change my metabolism.

Last year was not a bad year in our house. I am thankful, and am trying to build up a big pile of “good year” points to be used for years when it isn’t so good.

Our oldest grandson, also a David, got married, giving the family a reason to get together.

We spent a long weekend camping with our second daughter's husbands mother’s family, (got that?) and as long as I make a pineapple upside down cake in my dutch oven, I was told we would be welcome to further family events. They are a good bunch.

The time I spent with Jim was such a blessing to me in so many ways. It also was a bit scary. One day my beloved will be as incapacitated as Jim was at the end, but without the mind. That thought frightens me. I am not sure I can do it.

Dave W lost his wife to MS some years ago, and his new wife lost her husband and mother to cancer. Now her father seems to have cancer, and she is hurting big time. This year does not look good for them.

I spent a good bit of cash and energy getting guardianship of Miriam, and of getting her on a medication that controls her anger. She has been such a sweetheart all of these years. The anger was so out of character.

I have a grandson who is developmentally challenged. My daughter has spent countless hours and weeks with him in hospitals and clinics. There is so many really sick kids out there, it makes us thankful for small blessings.

I expect to have huge blessings poured out on my head this year. Blessings are always a bit mixed, but that is for our good, I am sure.

In 2008, I expect to:
Loose 6 or 7 ounces, maybe more, but no bets
Spend next christmas with all my kids and grandkids
Do some decent wood work
Make some fair sculpture and prints
Bicycle a few blocks now and again
Grow a good garden, free of all weeds (wanna take bets I lose on that one?)
Continue to love and accept love.

Best to all of you, may 2008 have truly good times.

7 comments:

StefanieRose said...

I think those are really good expectations for 2008. I hope you get just what you want and more. Love ya Davy.

rainbowheart said...

Dave,
I agree with you on the weeds in a garden. My hubby can grow a nice veggie garden but we can not keep the weeds out of the flower garden. That is sad! Dutch oven Pineapple Upside Cake sounds so good, would you share the recipe? I would love to try my hand at that one....lol

dave said...

let me get a recipe together and I'll post it.

Unknown said...

> I expect to:
> Loose 6 or 7 ounces, maybe more
> Bicycle a few blocks

I really like these. I may borrow them.

nancy said...

my warmest thoughts and wishes to you and miriam for 2008. you deserve it!

~Betsy said...

All the best to you and your family this year!

Joanne said...

Love your list of expectations for 2008. Good luck with the weeds. ;)
Happy New Year, Dave and family.