Thursday, January 31, 2008

I am coping

I went to the doctor today,

The regular one that both Miriam and I see. Having the same doctor for us is easier. I am trying to be efficient, which can be called lazy as well!

Anyway, I was sitting on the chair when the doctor came in. She is in her late 30’s, not long out of medical school, and is a very fine doctor, already. I like her, she listens well, which is a huge thing.

Once she told me that she has her loans for her medical school paid down to two hundred thousand now.

Anyway, when she came in the room she asked me how I was and I guess I gave her this inane “fine” for an answer. She smiled and asked questions and provided thoughts.

Then a few minutes later, she got to the point: “You are not fine, but you are coping.” And that was the most brilliant thing I heard all day. I am not fine, really even close, but I am coping.

When I ask my near teen or teen age grandkids how they are they will often say: “Good” and I have always had much the same response: You may be well and healthy, but you are my grand kid, you are not good!

But I love them, and I know they know it too.

4 comments:

nancy said...

great post dave. how often i remember telling people i was "fine" when i really meant to say "coping." i don't think that the majority of those that ask you really want to know though. sigh....

nancy said...

great post dave. how often i remember telling people i was "fine" when i really meant to say "coping." i don't think that the majority of those that ask you really want to know though. sigh....

Joanne said...

I think the automatic answer is "fine" when we're asked that question. I do find that your doctor was being very honest when she said you're not fine, you're coping. That's all we can do...cope. Hope you find it easier to cope each day, Dave.

dave said...

Joanne, the truth is that I may get tougher each day, but my beloved Miriam gets worse, just a tiny bit. There will be a time, I fear when just coping will be a major thing.
BTW, thanks for your good words.