Wednesday, January 30, 2008

more snow

We’ve had a lot of snow this winter.

Today most schools in the area are closed, and heaven help those who have to commute to work, it is SLICK out there.

To snow you need cold weather and moist air. And, since we live in a northern desert, we don’t always get them both at the same time, hence not much snow. Our farms are watered with runoff from the high mountains and they do get a lot of snow up there.

And that is how it is supposed to be: dry and cold here, snow and cold up there!

But this year is the exception. Before the last storm I heard that we had more snow than any year for the last dozen, and it snowed 6” yesterday morning, with more snow forecast each day for the next week and a half.

Enough already!

And, our house is at the crossroads of something big.

Yesterday I went out to the shop to work, and no person had walked across my footbridge that connects the front of our property (where the house is and is in the city limits) and the back acre (where the shop and garden are, and is in the county, and subject to different rules about almost everything).

The snow was unwalked in, except there were dog and cat tracks going everywhere. Big dog prints and small cat, all laid out there for me to observe and think about.

Sometimes my neighbor kids use my footbridge as a short cut between destinations. I know they do, and even though I scold them about it, one generation of short-cutters follows another.

Yet even their tracks are often visible, even in summer.

And that reminds me that we are hardly ever as crafty and sneaky as we think we are. We get caught regularly. I have never done serious crime, but I’ll bet they all thought they could get away with it, that they were smarter than the law.

Sadly, they may well have often away with it sometimes, even as the kids keep coming across my bridge.

No comments: