Wednesday, March 12, 2008

which road?

It is boring always going the same way every time.

Yesterday we were on a route that I have traveled several times, so it is not a new route, and to make it worse, I had a map to watch.

But coming out of Burns Oregon I took the wrong road. It headed almost the same direction, so I was not alarmed. We drove down that lonely road about an hour and then I stopped the car.

BTW, if you want an uninhabited part of the country, South East Oregon is a good start. High mountains of sage and grass. I like the desert, it was a sunny day and I was enjoying the route. In two hours of driving that road we met exactly 2 vehicles.

Then I saw a sign about Rome. And I stopped the car. I know where Rome is and it is on the way to Winnemucca (OK Stef, it is not THAT Rome), and if you go North from Rome you go through the Jordan Valley. Not too many places where the Jordan River is North of Rome, but it is in Oregon.

So we turned around, after I did an in head calculation that going back was closer (as it turned out that was not a good analysis). I studied the map and from the town of Crane there was a road north to the highway I really wanted.

The map I had was small and it didn’t show that the road I wanted did not go through Crane, but went by Crane, oops. So we went to Crane, which has nothing but a school (kids bussed in from miles away), and on up a gravel road. The map was uncertain whether it was paved or not.

Another beautiful drive, fine cattle on the ranches along the road, then the road stopped in a farm yard.

Oops again.

So we went the 25 miles back to Crane and found the right road.

It was a fine day and I had a good trip with pleasant company (Miriam and Leo), but what started out to be about 500 miles ended up closer to 650.

But we saw a LOT of sage brush, mountains and not a few cows. Did I tell you that I don’t really like cows?

5 comments:

nancy said...

good thing you don't live in wisconsin dave, we have lots of cows!!!

i too like to try different routes to change things up. however i have NO sense of direction (i inherited that from russ) so sometimes my deviations are not a good thing!

StefanieRose said...

love you grandpa face.

dave said...

Nancy our cows are all beef, unless you go one of our mega dairies with 14 zillion cows.

rainbowheart said...

Sometimes the road less traveled is a good road...if you have a 4 wheel drive. LOL..There are not many cows around my house but we do have cattle in his neck of the woods. I'm happy to hear that you, Ms. Miriam and Leo the wonder dog had a good trip.

~Betsy said...

Sounds like a fun adventure even if it did add 150 miles to an already long drive.

Most of my closest neighbors are cows. No kidding. Real cows who break through their fence and hang out up here with our pony. It's kind of funny sometimes.